It chronicles the completely misguided life of a low-in-self-esteem fourteen year old girl, and the extraordinary lengths she goes to, to get what she thinks is necessary - in her case, bigger breasts equates to greater success. In the DVD extras, Gustavo Bolívar also explains the reason behind his making of the film that had already had a successful run on TV earlier - so that he could follow the original novel more faithfully, where an adolescent Catalina enthusiastically turns to prostitution in order to earn the money required for her breast implant - apparently in the TV series, the story was adapted to portray an older woman.
About the Making of the Film:
The film does have a rather interesting background. Bolívar wanted to find a young lady really wanting to undergo surgery for his film, so that the actual procedure could also be filmed. Twenty one year old Isabel Cristina Cadavidad was consulting with renowned plastic surgeon Alan Gonzalez (who acts as himself in the film too) when she was informed of the opportunity to star in a film. Even though she was 21, she looked 15-16, which was more or less the character's age, and she agreed to play Catalina.
About the film:
Any story dealing with under-age prostitution is shocking to say the least, but the director forces us to look beyond what Catalina ends up doing, in order to explore the motivating and mitigating factors that leads her down the path. The film is therefore very earthy, in a naturally Latin American way, and well made with some interesting screenplay, which switches from melodramatic soap-opera to gritty drama of gang-culture, from teenage romance to erotic drama. The acting is also pretty good, especially from Isabel Cristina Cadavidad, who had never acted before. The direction and editing are professional, and the sound track is excellent using Cumbia, Pop Latino, and Hip hop and Reggaeton beats - it's as if the entire musical talent from Cali and Bogota have been used for the film. It's all good fun, never boring, of course not when the screen's filled with sexy girls from start to finish. Needless to say, Recommeded Viewing.
It was an uphill task editing bits for this compilation, and I don't want to be making too many graphics for this post, so these have to be larger than usual, but it should give you a general idea about the film, and hopefully you'll want to own your own DVD.
Compilation 1: Isabel Cristina Cadavidad
- No nudity but sexy cameltoe from Isabel Cristina Cadavidad when Catalina is advised by her brother Byron not to mix with the girls on the street, as they're sluts and a bad influence.
- We have a quick flash from one of Catalina's 'school friends'. If you really need to know the actress name, it is Caroll Parra. Catalaina is later consoled by her friend after she's rejected by a gangster for her small tits - she's now desperate to sell her virginity, the only thing she thinks she has of value, to anyone willing to pay for her breast enhancement.
- A bodyguard approaches Catalina after his boss at a private party picks another girl with bigger tits. He promises her the money and has rough sex with her without even knowing until later that she was a virgin he just deflowered. Some awesome nudity from Isabel in this darkly lit scene, with even a hint of her clitoris if you care to watch it studiously.
- A girl pops out of a cake in the nude at a gangster's birthday shindig - actress name uncredited. Assorted sexy 'Reinas' in the scene appear.
- Catalina with her first 'proper' customer, a gangster who gets addicted to her just after a night's work, but even then he's unwilling to fork up the 5 Million Pesos for her surgery.
- More 'Reinas' in the pool, followed by a bizarre scene of a topless girl overseeing a police officer being tortured (actress uncredited).
Compilation 2: Linda Lucía Callejas, Isabel Cristina Cadavidad
- No nudity but sexy. When Catalina is late from school, again, her boyfriend Albeiro comes looking for her at her home. Catalina's mum Doña Hilda opens the door and offers to make him some coffee while he waits. Hilda is a lonely widow, but sure must be the sexiest mum in town. He later watches her while she's asleep.
- Catalina leaves for Bogota, and Albeiro comes visiting to enquire about her whereabouts. Doña Hilda has just come out of the shower. And then things happen, predictably.
- This also had to happen sooner or later - Catalina's brother Byron catches his mum and Albeiro in bed together. What ensues is a bizarre passage of play where he first threatens, then turns philosophical and asks whether he should address Albeiro as a brother-in-law or step-dad, and behaves in a manner bordering on Oedipus complex. Byron by the way makes a living as a hired assassin, unbeknown to his poor mother. Doña Hilda is played by muy sexy señorita Linda Lucía Callejas.
- Catalina's just turned fifteen, and gives Albeiro what she had promised earlier, even pretending to him that she's still a virgin. And the hapless Hilda could do nothing about her lover having sex with her daughter.
- Catalina getting ready for her operation, after which they show Isabel Cristina Cadavidad actually getting the surgery done, but I haven't included it here.
- Catalina showing off her newly acquired breasts to a guy who spurned her earlier, he's eager now but is interrupted by his girlfriend.
- Catalina visits Albeiro to show them off too, and they make love.
- A heartbroken Catalina feeling suicidal - with some flashbacks.